I came across a Facebook post listing some comments politicians have made about certain topics and I wanted to broaden the list and highlight a few more topics. Let’s start on the topic from the post I originally saw.
- “If a woman has [the right to an abortion], why shouldn’t a man be free to use his superior strength to force himself on a woman? At least the rapist’s pursuit of sexual freedom doesn’t [usually] result in anyone’s death.” Lawrence Lockman
- “Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to Black lives than the KKK ever was.” EW. Jackson
- “In the emergency room they have what’s called rape kits, where a woman can get cleaned out.” Jodie Laubenberg
- “Life is that gift from God that I think even if life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.” Richard Mourdock
- “But on the rape thing, it’s like, how does putting more violence onto a woman’s body and taking the life of an innocent child that’s a consequence of this crime, how does that make it better?” John Koster
It is one thing when men cannot seem to understand how rape is wrong, but when a fellow woman cannot understand either there has to be something wrong. These politicians (Republicans) are saying aborting is always wrong, even if it stems from such a traumatic event. Somehow helping women is the most dangerous thing on the planet.
- “I think poverty to a large extent is also a state of mind… You take somebody that has the right mindset, you can take everything from them and put them on the street, and I guarantee in a little while they’ll be right back up there.” Ben Carson
- “In the Scripture tells us… ‘for even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: If a man will not work, he shall not eat.'” Jodey Arrington
- “And I said to myself, if they can stay so poor for so many generations, maybe this isn’t the kind of person we want to be electing to higher office. How smart can they be? They’re morons.” Donald Trump
- “We have got this tailspin of culture in our inner cities, in particular, of men not working and just generations of men not even thinking about working or learning the value and the culture of work; and so there’s a real culture problem here that has to be dealt with,” Paul Ryan
What a lot of these quotes about poverty seem to be saying is that simply working will take one out of poverty. But what these politicians are missing is that many Americans work multiple jobs, and still don’t cross over the poverty line. It is not that people are lazy; it is not that they are not working. There seems to be a misunderstanding of how the economy works.
- “The enemy right now, the overwhelming majority right now coming in is people of color or people of Hispanic origin.” Paul Le Page
- “First non-valedictorian DREAMer deported. Border Patrol, this one’s for you.” Steve King
- “For Cinco de Mayo I will drink an entire jar of hot salsa and watch old Speedy Gonzales cartoons and speak Spanish all day. Happy CdMayo!” Mike Huckabee
These are just simply racist. It builds on that fear of the outsider; that people must band together to stop them.
- “Gun control only works for normal law abiding citizens, it doesn’t work for crazies.” Ben Carson
- “I think video games are a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people.” Lamar Alexander
- “They are used to defend our property and our families and our faith and our freedom, and they are absolutely essential to living the way God intended for us to live.” Tim Donnelly
- “A child drowns in a pool and the impulse is to pass a law that puts fencing around pools. The cumulative effect of this is, in some cases, you don’t solve the problem by passing the law, and you’re imposing on large numbers of people, burdens that make it harder for our economy to grow, make it harder for people to protect liberty.” Jeb Bush
Owning a weapon for “self defense” is more important than others lives. The argument in these cases is that the right to own something is an American dream. No regulations or anything. It is pure greed.
And not all Republicans are this extreme or desperate for votes. There are extremes to every party. It is just that all of these quotes come from Republicans.
The moral of the story is, please vote. Not just in presidential elections but in every election. The United States gubernatorial elections are this November 7th, so if any of these quotes are scary or disagreeable the wise thing to do would be to vote in the opposite direction.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions expressed by the authors and those providing comments, opinions on this website are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or positions of M-Lifestyle and their affiliates. M-Lifestyle does not claim ownership of any images used, unless otherwise specified.